Recently, I have come up with recipes to fulfill two goals – and this vegan banana zucchini bread succeeds with both – 1) to use up as many things as possible from our pantry before we move and 2) to make Rich see that zucchini is a wonderfully versatile vegetable that we can use in a zillion dishes. Well, this bread actually turned out so well that I already made it twice. Another go-to recipe for how to make Rich eat zucchinis, haha.
The last time we took it with us when we spent a morning at Palisades Interstate Park with our friends. While I took a pleasant walk along the Hudson River, Rich and our friends pursued the atrocious activity of hiking. When they got back to the river park, I had already set up a little picnic table – our star obviously being the vegan banana zucchini bread. The four of us almost finished the whole loaf immediately.
What makes this specific zucchini banana breads so delicious is the mix of moist fruitiness and a certain nuttiness, the later being created by flax meal, chia seeds, wheat bran and walnuts. Since I am not the biggest banana fan (I never eat them raw), I love how the zucchini adds another small flavor. Besides, this recipe is vegan which was important to our vegan friends. That also makes this bread a great dish to bring to a potluck.
- The first time I made this bread I used almond flour instead of wheat flour. It makes the bread taste even nuttier, but it doesn’t rise as well.
- Feel free to replace the walnuts with other nuts. I tried pecan nuts the first time and they were just as delicious.
- You might need more sugar if you prefer sweeter cakes. This bread with 1/2 cup of sugar turns out rather nutty than sweet.
- I used Trader Joe’s vegan chocolate chips. I am not sure if they sell them all year round – if not, you might want to stock up around Christmas.
This blog post & shop widgets use affiliate links.
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 ripe bananas
- 40 g (or 1/4 cup) chia seeds
- 45 g (or 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp.) flax meal
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 120 g(or 1 cup) flour
- 30 g (or 1/2 cup) wheat bran
- 100 g (or 1/2 cup) sugar
- 60 ml (or 1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. water
- 55 g (or 1/3 cup) vegan chocolate chips
- 35 g (or 1/3 cup) walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (or 350 °F).
- Grate zucchini in a bowl.
- Add the bananas and squish everything.
- Add the dry ingredients: chia seeds, flax meal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, flour, wheat bran and sugar.
- Add the vegetable oil and the water. Mix well.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and the walnut pieces.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Fill the dough into the pan.
- Put in the oven and bake for ca. 60 minutes.
- Allow to cool before taking the bread out of the pan.