Recipe: Vegan Blackberry Basil Lemon Cookies – Perfect for Valentine’s Day or any other day – and I believe every day is cake day. As Valentine’s Day is coming up though, I chose my hearts cookie pan. The more important decision to me was that I wanted to try and make vegan cookies. In the end that turned out far easier than expected. Nowadays there are so many substitutes for dairy products. I easily found vegan butter and also cream. The one I used is a mix of coconut cream and almond milk.
To be honest, this is the first time that I have baked since Christmas. We had that agreement that my baking goods were possibly one of the main reasons why we put on weight. But Valentine’s cookies are surely a great reason to make an exception. These blackberry basil lemon cookies are really fruity. Because I made them in the mold, they are a little thicker than your average cookie and therefore very fluffy on the inside. They also take longer in the oven.
I think the cookies might look a little more even if I had puréed the blackberries before adding them to the dough. But this would change the cookie color to a more purple greenish shade – just that you are aware if you try it.
As I made the cookies a few days in advance, we can enjoy them sensibly until Valentine’s Day – or at least we’ll try (and possible fail).
Vegan Blackberry Basil Lemon Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 stick vegan butter 113g, cut into smaller cubes
- 2/3 cup dairy free cream
- 2 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 cup blackberries
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 175°C (or 350°F).
- In a big bowl mix the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the butter and stir until the mix starts forming a dough.
- Stir in the dairy free cream.
- Mix in the dried basil.
- Finally add the blackberries.
- Put the dough on a baking sheet.
- Put in the oven for 12 to 20 minutes (depending on how thick they are).
- In a small bowl mix the lemon juice with the powdered sugar.
- Drizzle the icing over the cookies once they are done.
Are you looking for more Valentine’s Day baking ideas? Try these:
- Easy Air Fryer Donuts for Valentine’s Day
- Sourdough Berry Cake
- Karyoka (or: chocolate covered candied chestnuts)
2 thoughts on “Recipe: Vegan Blackberry Basil Lemon Cookies – Perfect for Valentine’s”