This summer I feel extra lucky because, since we moved, we have a farmers’ market a block away from us every Wednesday. Several of the regional farms there sell freshly plucked peaches. And I am a huge fan of peaches. For the last few weeks I bought a small bowl of peaches every Wednesday and mostly snacked on them. While I have always loved peaches, I crave them even more now that I am pregnant. I guess they are not the worst food. I mean Rich eats them, too, while he absolutely dislikes my cravings of popcorn with pickle flavor …
Unfortunately, the peak of peach season is almost over. I can tell from the way my beloved peaches are slightly less plump week after week. But I always find ways to use even the last few supplies. Like in my peach skillet blondies. They are super easy to make. Even on a hot summer day in the City when I really don’t want to spend much time in the kitchen. I make them during the day so that they are cold by the time we eat dinner. These blondies make a wonderful dessert. They are fruity and gooey at the same time – and actually so good that we often spoon them right out of the skillet. While they go great with ice-cream, my current cravings ask more for peach blondies with some fresh peach.
- Our skillet is about 25 cm (10 in.) in diameter.
- If you don’t have a skillet, you can easily make the peach blondies in a square baking pan.
- Make sure that you properly brown the butter. This is what creates the specific blondies flavor.
- Don’t leave the blondies in the oven for too long. They lose their gooey-ness when they are overdone.
- You could easily replace part of the sugar with white chocolate chips.
Easy Peach Skillet Blondies
- 185 g 3/4 cup butter
- 275 g 2 cups flour
- 300 g 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 peaches cut into small pieces
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Let it boil for about 10 minutes until it is brown. Take it off the stove and leave it to cool down a bit.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C(350 °F).
- Grease your skillet if you haven't done so before.
- In a bowl mix the sugar with the baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the molten butter.
- Add the eggs, the vanilla extract and the flour.
- Last, add most of the peaches (except about 1/2 peach).
- Pour the dough into the skillet and spread evenly. Sprinkle the pieces of the other ca. 1/2 peach on top of the dough.
- Put the skillet in the oven for ca. 30 minutes, until the blondies are slightly brown on their surface.
- Allow the peach blondies to cool down before you serve them.