Just in time for summer vacation I bought a new kitchen toy: an ice cream maker. Plus a few pink containers. I have always loved buying kitchen devices, even when I couldn’t cook (which wasn’t that long ago to be honest). I feel after banana bread, babka and sourdough, homemade ice cream made it to the top of the to-do in the kitchen list this year. Well, so I bought an ice cream maker for us. It is pink and wonderful. I didn’t really know a thing about making ice cream and was taken by surprise when I realized that I first had to freeze the bowl for at least one night. Thank god for instructions :-).
By now we have used the ice cream maker a few times and I love our creations. I don’t use it for the average vanilla or strawberry ice cream because in these cases it would be way faster to just go to the closest store and buy it. No, I experiment with more interesting ingredients and combinations. Even the very first attempt ended up as a triple chocolate almond ice cream. My latest experiment is this amazing Plum Cheesecake Ice Cream with Olive Oil and Rosemary. I know I know, the name is quite long. Maybe I should just call it A Summer in New York Dream. Or New York Meets Mediterranean.
Because that ice cream turned out to be fruity, creamy, cheesecaky and extremely yummy. The prevalent flavors are plum and cheesecake. Both the olive oil and the rosemary are very subtle, but add a light tartness. I personally prefer fruit pieces, but I am sure this ice cream would also be great if you puréed the plums before adding them to the mixture.
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
4 hr, 40 Total Time
- 220 g cream cheese
- 125 g sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 125 g sour cream
- 150 ml milk
- 80 ml olive oil
- 4 big plums, diced
- fresh rosemary (I used the leaves of two branches)
- Put the freezer bowl in your freezer at last over night (or according to the instructions of your ice cream maker).
- Put the cream cheese, sugar, salt, heavy cream, sour cream and olive oil into a bowl.
- With the help of a hand mixer, combine all these ingredients until smooth.
- Add the diced plums. Stir them in with a spoon.
- Pluck the rosemary leaves of the branch and stir them also in.
- Refrigerate the ice cream mixture for at least 2 hours.
- Start your ice cream maker.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into the freezer bowl and let mix until the ice cream is done.
- Put the mixture in a container and continue to freeze it.
Shop this post:
This blog post & shop widgets use affiliate links.
For once this year I am looking a little forward to fall and winter because I have got all those ideas of ice cream flavors I want to try. Like pumpkin or apple cheesecake, pecan pie, mulled wine, gingerbread, …
Do you have an ice cream maker?