Oh sweet summer break! I had longed eagerly for you to arrive. And now that you are here, I am overjoyed. I don’t have to spend all my days in front of my laptop anymore. Neither do I have to prepare lessons and video calls nor do I have to grade a bazillion student texts every week. Instead I can just sleep in every morning. Sometimes I get to see Rich working while I am lying on the sofa. I also have time for regular afternoon naps. Summer break really is one of my favorites every year. Since I don’t really get to travel this year (at least not far away), I have come up with many other things to do this summer:
- Have my car repaired: The battery died because I didn’t drive for 3.5 months so now I have to have the car repaired (it is already in the auto shop).
- Make and send thank you cards from our wedding: We have already collected all the addresses, but I have to sit down and create and write the cards themselves.
- Spend at least one day at the beach together with Rich: I mean I recently bought two dinosaur bikinis so we definitely have to go to the beach …
- Visit supermarket Lidl: There is one not too far away now in New Jersey. I can’t wait to go because I believe it’ll be almost like a vacation in Germany.
- Go on a few day trips: Once my car drives again without problems, I would like to visit a few towns close-by, e.g. Terrytown/Sleepy Hollow or Beacon.
- Have a little dinosaur waffle party: Two of my friends gave a dino waffle maker to me for my birthday. So we definitely have to try it.
- Go camping in Upstate for one weekend: Well, I am not that happy about camping, but one weekend will be fine. Our groomsman and his girlfriend asked if we would all go together.
- Get up early sometimes to go running in the morning: Most days in the City are hot and humid. So if we want to exercise at all, we have to get up a little earlier (like at 6 or 6.30 a.m.) to go running before this becomes almost unbearable.
- Use our icecream maker regularly: I tried it last week for the first time and realized how much fun it is to create your own icecream. Since we have come up with many more ideas.
- Go with one of my friends to the Hamptons: We thought it would be nice to spend a few days outside of the City. And I have never been to the Hamptons.
- Have a picnic with friends in Central Park
- Visit Rich’s family: Rich has the last week of July off so we will try to see his family either in Boston or Maine (depending where they are then).
- Eat vegan for a whole week: I still find it hard to eat exclusively vegan dishes, but I have also improved a lot there. So a whole week would be challenging, but also fun.
- Continue to read as much: I have read so many books already this year. As reading is one of my favorite activities, I would love to keep it up and maybe also read a few more of my TBR pile.