It is Super Bowl Weekend. While I don’t care much for American football or who wins (this year it is the Los Angeles Rams vs. the Cincinnati Bengals), I love the ads, the halftime show and, of course, the food. My favorite part has always been watching the Super Bowl with a group of friends and everyone contributes to a potluck. My recipe for eggs stuffed with minced meat is perfect for such a potluck. You can make it either with animal meat or, as I do, with a vegan alternative.
Rich and I love to eat egg dishes. One of my favorites is hard boiled eggs in mustard sauce – a dish from my childhood. But I also like shakshuka, poached eggs, … I think I might have craved eggs even more than pickles during my pregnancy. For us it was a total game changer when I started visiting our farmers’ market every week and buy our eggs there. They are just better: fresher, tastier, better looking. And actually cheaper than organic eggs in a store.
While we still eat many eggs, we try very hard to reduce our dairy and meat intake. So I made these stuffed eggs with Impossible ground meat. And I used oat milk instead of dairy. At this point vegan alternatives have become so great that we can’t really taste a difference. But you could also use cow milk and actual animal meat to make this recipe.
If you want to bring the stuffed eggs to a potluck, you could prepare everything in a skillet, cover it with cling wrap, and put it in the host’s oven. Or you could pass on the mashed potatoes and carefully fill and bake the egg halves on their own. Personally, we love the eggs on their mashed potato bed. But it might make it harder to eat as a buffet dish.
Eggs Stuffed with Minced Meat – Vegetarian & Meat Version
For the stuffed eggs
- 7 eggs
- 100 g or 1/2 cup minced meat (either animal or vegetarian version)
- 1 small onion diced
- 250 ml or 1 cup milk (works also with oat milk)
- 70 g or 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- salt pepper
- 2 tbsp. mustard
- ca. 60 g or ca. 1/2 cup shredded cheese
For the mashed potatoes
- 800 g potatoes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 100 ml or 1/2 cup milk
- salt pepper
- Boil the eggs for 8 minutes so that they are hard. Leave to cool before you peel them.
- Meanwhile boil the potatoes until they are soft. Peel them if you want to.
- Mash the potatoes in a pot or bowl with the olive oil and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mashed potatoes in the skillet.
- Cut the eggs in half. With the help of a small knife or spoon, carefully scoop out the egg yolks. Put them in a bowl.
- In that bowl mix the egg yolks with the minced meat, the onion, milk and breadcrumbs. Season with salt, pepper and mustard.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (or 350 °F).
- Arrange the egg halves on the mashed potatoes.
- Use a spoon to stuff the eggs with the filling. Put the remaining filling around the edge.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the dish.
- Put in the oven for ca. 20 minutes, until the cheese has melted and browned.