Today was an amazing day. I mean every extra day off is wonderful. I am grateful to Mother Hulda and the masses of snow she is granting us with. It actually didn’t snow much anymore, but it was very windy. But seriously, I would never complain about a snow day because there are so many things I can do at home. In winter it is great to have an excuse for not leaving the house for a day or two. Also, I still have to work through a whole list of tasks that it is ages since I have felt bored. To me this start into a now short working week was excellent. Here are some ideas what we can all do on snow days – or snowy Sundays – or, you know, basically on any day off:
- Sleep in. I actually managed to be wide awake at 6 a.m., something that on normal work days hardly ever happens. But I just stayed in bed for a little longer, snuggled with Canavar, and watched a movie.
- Take the time and enjoy a big breakfast. It is so relaxing to have time and have breakfast like on weekends. One of my favorite recipes for this is shakshuka [recipe here].
- Read a book. Isn’t it great to snuggle up in a blanket and dive into another world? When I am alone, I start reading during breakfast.
- Call somebody. The only people I talk to the phone on a regular basis are my parents. But I haven’t talked to most of my friends who live in other countries in several months because the time difference makes it already difficult to find a suiting time. We usually write Whatsapp messages though. But on a day off I can make time for a call since I am not sleeping when they have time or the other way round.
- Read the newspaper. I have gone back to reading a paper one, and even though I receive the New York Times only from Friday to Sunday, there is enough for me to read for a whole week.
- Get work done. I get so many more tasks done at home, esp. writing e-mails. Plus it is a day when I save so much time because I don’t have to commute. In total I worked about seven hours today, and I am thankful for the time, esp. because I lost so much of it last week when I was in bed sick.
- Do the laundry. Always important. Although I noticed that the monster of a washing machine even tears laundry bags. Like seriously?!
- Take care of your body. In my opinion it is splendid to take a bath in the morning, but also applying a mask or painting your nails is pleasant.
- Have a nice lunch. Food is important so I made İmam bayıldı – I am going to publish the recipe tomorrow. It is delicious and at the same time healthy. I don’t want to get another cold.
- And talking of food: Have coffee and cake in the afternoon. This might be my favorite German tradition, at 3 p.m. you have one piece (or more) of cake and drink a cup of coffee. My parents for instance have it every day, I wish I had time for it.
- Take a nap. That is my favorite part of an extra day off because I love taking an after-lunch nap. Canavar and I lay down and slept for about an hour.
- Wash your makeup brushes. This is one of those tasks that I always postpone. But when I can’t leave the house, I even get this done.
- If possible, take a walk. This depends on the weather, but I remember my first blizzard two years ago. It suddenly stopped in the afternoon, and so I went outside and enjoyed the snow [here]. If the weather is too bad, even I might feel like doing some exercise inside. Luckily there are many Youtube videos with instructions.
- Write a letter. My granny is always happy when she receives a letter from me. So I try to make time for writing her at least once a month.
- Make a list of things to do. And then start doing them. I realized that I need a doctor’s appointment for a checkup, invited friends for breakfast next week, and wrote several events in my calendar.